Asheville is the perfect destination for a beautiful wedding

Here is important information for your special day
How and Where to obtain a Marriage License. 

Marriage Licenses are issued during business hours (8 AM-5 PM) at the Buncombe County Register of Deeds Office at 205 College St, Asheville.(This is a new address) ** note you can use the parking garage across the street and get your ticket validated at the Register's Office{for one hour}.
 Please plan to arrive by 4:30 PM if possible. 
For more info, call 828-250-4301.
** For other WNC counties click Here

To obtain a license, both parties must be present with valid photo identification AND Social Security Cards. (See "laws" below for alternative forms of ID.)
The license is valid for 60 days from the date of issue and can be used for marriage anywhere within the state of North Carolina.
The fee for the Marriage License is $60 and can be paid with cash/check/Visa/MasterCard.

For your convenience, you may complete the Online Marriage License Application from home prior to your visit. (the application once submitted goes directly to the registrars office and is ready when you arrive.)
Click Here for Application 

The Application can also be completed upon arrival at the Register of Deeds office.

Once the ceremony is performed, the completed license must be returned to the Register of Deeds Office within 10 days. A certificate of marriage can then be issued.
* * * * *
There is no waiting period to be married in North Carolina. Once the license is issued by the Register of Deeds Office it is good for only 60 days.

 Persons do not need to  be residents of this state to marry in North Carolina. 
North Carolina Marriage Laws

- The person performing the marriage ceremony must return both completed license to the Register of Deeds Office in the county where the license was originally issued or be subject to a $200.00 fine.

Two witnesses must be present at time of marriage. The 2 (two) witnesses must include their names and  addresses on both the original and copy of the license. The witnesses do not have to be residents of North Carolina or the US. 

 A license issued in one County may be used in any county in North Carolina .   

-. The Marriage License fee set by N. C. Law, is currently $60.

- A Physician’s Health Certificate of Blood Test is not required.

-The Register of Deeds shall require proof of age from all persons making application for a marriage license. A person between 18 and 21 years of age is required to present a certified birth certificate.
Persons 21 or older may present any one of the following forms of ID:
 Drivers license,
 military ID,
state ID
 or a certified birth certificate.

- The Register may accept a Social Security Number from a social security card or one of the following with the number on it:

A W-2 Form
A paycheck stub
Military discharge
Medicaid/Medicare Card
Voter’s Registration Card containing their 
Social Security Number.
Health Insurance Card containing 
their Social Security Number

- An Internal Revenue Service (W-7 Form) or an affidavit of ineligibility is acceptable for anyone . who has never had a Social Security Number and are not entitled to one. (Such affidavits are good for 60 days only.

-.Once the marriage has been performed and both copies of the License returned to the Register of Deeds Office, a Certificate of Marriage may be obtained upon request. Each certified certificate is currently $10.

-If you are a couple that has married out-of-state, all levels of government in NC now fully recognize your marriage. You do not need to file any documents with the state of NC or your local Register of Deeds.
Where to obtain a license from
Surrounding Western North Carolina Counties

Henderson County Register of Deeds
200 North Grove St. Suite 129
Hendersonville, NC 28792  
Ph: 828-697-4901

Madison County Register of Deeds
5707 Highway 25/70
Marshall, NC 28753

Haywood County Register of Deeds
215 North Main Street, Suite 213
Waynesville, NC 28786

​Jackson County Register of Deeds
401 Grindstaff Cove Road, Suite 108
Sylva, NC 28779
Civil Ceremonies with a Magistrate

Marriages can be performed by a civil magistrate on the 9th floor of the Buncombe County Courthouse  (60 Court Plaza, Asheville).
 The magistrate is generally available to perform marriages on weekdays at 8:30 AM and 4 PM. However, this is not always the case, so it is advisable to call the magistrate’s office before arriving to ensure that he will be available.
 For more information, please call the magistrate’s office at 828-259-3407.
 You will need two witnesses.

Getting Married in North Carolina
A North Carolina Marriage may be performed by any of the following:

An Ordained Minister
A Minister Authorized by his church
A District Court Magistrate
By the Society of Friends, according
 to customs of the Society
By a local Spiritual Assembly of the Bahais in accordance to t their religious community.
By any person authorized by any religious denomination or of any recognized Indian 
Nation or Tribe.​

Your Resource For Asheville & WNC LGBTQ Community